Mentorship program for children who stutter, by teens who stutter.
Stepping Up is a program that allows for children who stutter to be mentored by teens who stutter. Teens have a chance to be role models and provide support for younger individuals while children benefit from older role models that have experienced growing up as a person that stutters. Teenagers and mentees converse with each other about issues surrounding their stuttering and are always encouraged to talk about other life experiences besides stuttering.
Requirements for teen mentors:
- Mentor at least one child
- Provide support throughout the year
- Participate for a minimum of one year
Support will be in the means of:
- Weekly e-mails
- Monthly emails/texts
- Monthly phone calls (optional)
- Monthly Google Hangouts (optional)
- Send birthday wishes/card on each child’s birthday
- If attending annual convention, participate with mentoring partners.
Requirements for the Kid Mentees
- Kids must also participate for a minimum of one year
- Respond to their teen mentor throughout the program
- If attending annual convention, participate with mentoring partner
Program quote goes here